Updated November, 2012
Masterpiece is a word thrown around at will these days. Everyone has their opinion, and as there is no actual science to determining which fragrance meets the criteria, I'll share mine given some specific criteria (and some not-so-specific preconceived notions).
Note that these are all still in production or available at discounters, etc. Some are getting pricier by the day, so stock up! I won't go into too much detail on why I chose what I did, or even their sordid histories, but I will give a few hints of reformulation where appropriate.
(a) originality - doesn't have to be the first to do something, but if it's not, it has to be the best at what it does;
(b) ingenuity - even the smallest, most minute change can turn something good into something great;
(c) flawlessness - again, even the smallest lack of balance can turn something with potential into a failure;
(d) availability - things like Iris Gris aren't on the list because I'm not here to crush people's hopes; and
(e) versatility - a masterpiece doesn't age, isn't restricted to one time of day, or season, or sex.
1. Mitsouko (Guerlain) - I had the good fortune of smelling a reconstruction of Coty's notorious Chypre, and frankly, it smelled a heck of a lot like Mitsouko. While it's sad that Chypre is no longer in production, I'm glad we have its equal. As far as reformulation goes, the new isn't as good as the old, but still perfectly acceptable.
2. Shalimar (Guerlain) - This is frankly what keeps Guerlain in business as far as I'm concerned. Not something I wear personally, but undeniably perfect in every way. Smelling the stages of Shalimar is like watching a retrospective on a beautiful actress whose ray of light never faded. UPDATE - as good as ever.
3. Vol de Nuit (Guerlain) - Another Guerlain that, while lacking the oomph of its brethren, still exudes class and quality. A personal favourite of mine. The EDT is perfect for everyday wear, while the extrait is something I save for special occasions.
4. Jicky (Guerlain) - Can you believe Jicky is nearing its 125th birthday? Still smells modern even in its current formulation, although the EDT leaves something to be desired.
5. L'Heure Bleue (Guerlain) - The least affected by modern reformation, L'HB is refinement bottled. Seems like most new Guerlain releases have L'HB to thank for something, yet none match how special it is. UPDATE - less foody, more floral. Not a bad thing, but not the same.
6. No. 5 (Chanel) - What can be said? This is something I wear regularly in extrait, although it's lost a bit of richness in recent years. The EDT remains a perfect everyday scent. Truly timeless. UPDATE - parfum isn't terrific, short-lived, but still deserves its place on the list. EDT grows more pale with each day.
7. Cuir de Russie (Chanel) - This won't be popular, but I actually prefer the current EDT of CdR over the pre-Exclusifs formulation. The old is smokier and more challenging, while the new is more iris-prominent and floral. You can't go wrong with either of course.
8. Bois des Iles (Chanel) - Another successful Chanel reformulation/modernization. I've tried the old, and while the new isn't quite as strong, it stands its ground quite nicely. The extrait is something magical, but the EDT is something I feel I can wear everyday and never tire of it. I can't top Tania Sanchez' comment that BdI is No. 5's brunette sister. So very apt. UPDATE - parfum isn't quite what it used to be, in the same vein as No. 5, not aging well.
9. Pour Monsieur (Chanel) - This has changed over the years, but is still recognizable. Basically Mitsouko minus the peach and flowers. UPDATE - cheaper still, but still good.
10. Pour Un Homme (Caron) - I wear this often, and although there are a few terrific lavender-vanillas on the market, none match the harmony of PuH. I've been buying older (ugly) bottles, thinking the current couldn't possibly compete, but after a quick sniff of the modern, not much has changed.
11. Joy (Jean Patou) - I always wonder why a perfume doesn't just throw some rose and jasmine in a bottle with a little musk to make it last and watch it sell like hotcakes. Joy seems like a simple idea, but you'd never know it smelling its complexities.
12. Apres l'Ondee (Guerlain) - After receiving a sample of the coveted and rare extrait concentration of AlO, I can honestly say I prefer the EDT. Something this melancholy and pale was meant to be sheer. Sadness bottled. UPDATE - more iris! Not a bad thing!
13. Fracas (Robert Piguet) - Can you believe I debated over including this?? I'll never doubt you again, you beautiful, erotic beast, you. Not for the faint of heart, but a true tuberose never is. One of the few perfumes that still smells as great as it always has, yet hasn't aged a day.
13. Fracas (Robert Piguet) - Can you believe I debated over including this?? I'll never doubt you again, you beautiful, erotic beast, you. Not for the faint of heart, but a true tuberose never is. One of the few perfumes that still smells as great as it always has, yet hasn't aged a day.
14. Angel (Thierry Mugler) - I'm not even going to make an argument for this, it's simple beyond comprehension how truly remarkable Angel is. Sadly, the recent formulations lack the masculine qualities that made the original so genius, so in this case I'd rather find an older bottle online. UPDATE - current formulation is still great. Fruitier, but with less emphasis on the near-tropical, and more on the berry. Less so, but still Angel.
15. Une Fleur de Cassie (Frederic Malle) - UFdC is so utterly bizarre, yet so mesmerizing, I can only compare it to something like Comme des Garcons at its best - hideously beautiful.
16. Chinatown (Bond No. 9) - My famous contradiction - I hate Chinatown, I love Chinatown, I love to hate Chinatown...you get the picture. Loud, brassy, nauseating to some (many), adored by others. Something this controversial (possibly the most, since Angel) deserves some recognition. It's not only hype that makes Chinatown perfection, it never fails to deliver in every other category.
18. Missoni (Missoni) - Funny how, minus the chocolate note, this would have been an utterly pedestrian scent at best. A fruity floral like no other, Missoni is so complex that it will never be fully understood. Again, discontinued, but found affordably online. UPDATE - still reasonably priced, but this trend won't last.
19. Rive Gauche (Yves Saint Laurent) - The popularity of RG still surprises me to this day. It's difficult to wear, challenging to the senses, and because of these aspects (and more), a masterpiece. Calandre is remarkably similar, but becoming incresingly difficult to find, and frankly, didn't have RG's balls. The new is fruitier and soapier than the old, but both are outstanding.
20. S-ex (S-Perfume) - S-ex shifts from pale to vivid at any given moment. It moves on the skin and never fails to evoke an emotion in each who smell it. Love it or hate it, it's remarkable. Art in a bottle.
21. Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens) - Uncle Serge should, in theory, have more on this list, and if we were talking about ingenuity alone, he would. However, we're talking masterpieces, and only one makes the cut in my opinion. ISM is stark, cold, damp (yet dry), and completely captivating. UPDATE - now available in the US! At last!
22. Promesse de l'Aube (Parfums MDCI) - Pricey, but worth every penny! MDCI has released some stellar scents, but this one climbed to the top of my list (although Enlevement au Serail was close behind, I feel it doesn't add anything new to the game). Many comparisons have be made to Chanel's 31 Rue Cambon, but Promesse exceeds in refinement (sorry Chanel).
23. Rush (Gucci) - Rush is basically everything that is wrong with the world, done right. By most rights, this should have been a disaster, but instead, works magically. Synthetic florals with a huge shot of cream...it still blows my mind to think that it sells as well as it does.
24. Boucheron (Boucheron) - Of all the 80's releases, Boucheron is, to my mind, the best. While all of them are big and room-filling, Boucheron manages to stay civilized. It feels as though every ingredient known to man was thrown in, and all the better for it.
25. 100% Love (S-Perfume) - Paris (YSL) dipped in dark chocolate...the most apt way to describe 100% Love. Like many of the others on this list, it has many a hater, and again like many others in the list, my opinion morphed from disgust to intrigue to adoration. I'm surprised this has remained in the production. Its makers have my full admiration.
25. 100% Love (S-Perfume) - Paris (YSL) dipped in dark chocolate...the most apt way to describe 100% Love. Like many of the others on this list, it has many a hater, and again like many others in the list, my opinion morphed from disgust to intrigue to adoration. I'm surprised this has remained in the production. Its makers have my full admiration.
October 2012 Update - Opium has been removed from the list due to its lackluster current formulation.
November 2012 Update - Le Feu d'Issey and Scent (Theo Fennell) have been removed due to discontinuation and difficulty in obtaining. Missoni remains until prices get out of hand. 100% Love added.
Close, but not quite... (for various reasons) - White Linen, Declaration, Bandit, Enlevement au Serail, Bois de Violette, Poison, Diorella, Chamade, Habit Rouge, Vetiver, Dzing!, Amouage Gold, Caleche, Calandre, Le Temps d'Une Fete, Black, Knize Ten, La Myrrhe, Sarrasins, TDC Osmanthus, Kenzo Flower, Lolita Lempicka, Sycomore, Champagne/Yvresse, Saffran Troublant. *post has been revised*
Apart from Rush, quite a list. That zing, red-smelling synthetic note (coriander plus rose accord) is just bizarre.
ReplyDeleteI am surprised Dior's Diroessence (a chypre to match any green chypre out there) didn't make your list.
I can see MDCI making the cut. My personal favourite from this line is 'Le Rivage des Syrtes'. No one can do pineapple this good but Madame de Nicolaï. Speaking of her reminds me of 'Sacrebleu', another grand perfume. And I would have added 31 Rue Cambon without a thought; it's elegance unmatched.
Ah, the list is long and if vintages were to be mentioned, could be even longer.
But, it is still some solace, isn't it?
Despite all efforts, so many amazing perfume have managed to survive into 21st century.
Many scents didn't make the cut for several reasons. Dioressence, mainly because the current version differs so much from the previous, which differs again from its predecessor, and so on.
ReplyDelete31rc didn't make the cut because of Promesse de l'Aube. They're clearly cut from the same cloth, but where PdlA is seamsless the whole way through, 31 has some rough patches (mostly in the drydown). Plus, Promesse came first.
Sacre Bleue, well, it doesn't add anything that L'Heure Bleue didn't already, but I do quite love it.
All-in-all, it's more of a summary than a definitive go-to list. All subjective, but I'm confident in my choice. :)
To each their own, as they say. ;)
ReplyDeleteHowever, I didn't understand the 'came first' part as regards Promesse de l'Aube (2006)?
31 Rue Cambon original, as you know, is from 1921 and the most recent reformulation by Polge and Sheldrake is 2007. So, if anything it is MDCI copying Chanel.
The original and current are very much alike. Vintage had some bitterness courtesy oak-moss, which understandably is not there any more.
31rc from 1921? I've never seen any reference to this...where did you get this info? I recall reading that the actual building was from 1921 (or was it purchased in 1921).
ReplyDeleteEither way, the 31 that's on the market today is clearly modern in every way.
I stand corrected.
ReplyDeleteThe reference was for "Rue Cambons" as they were called then(1921-1930), i.e Bois de Iles, Cuir de Russie, Gardenia and No. 22. The original referred to, with oak moss was No.22 {Perfume Legends: French Feminine Fragrances, 1998}.
31 RC was originally done in 2006 and released in Feb,'07.
Ah, fair enough...I had forgotten that the original series had that name. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat? No vetivers???
ReplyDeleteNormand
For something to be a masterpiece, it has to be more than a focus on one ingredient. I happen to love wearing solo-notes everyday, but for something to reach perfection level, it has to bring more to the table. That being said, Guerlain's original Vetiver comes very close, if not for the drastic reformulation that turned it into a sport cologne. Sycomore being the next best thing on the market today, but in my mind, not quite perfection (although I adore it).
ReplyDeleteI realized after I wrote that, that ISM is pretty much a solo-perfume. For some reason though, it manages to be more than the sum of its parts.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great list by the way. Alot of work went into that! I don't like to talk about "best" because by the following day, I've changed my mind. But... with this list... they're all pretty safe except maybe Iris Silver Mist, which I just don't get.
ReplyDeleteI never tried Promesse de l'Aube, but I had a decant of Enlèvement au Sérail. BEAUTY!
Did Encre Noire get anywhere near the "Close but not quite"?
Thanks for this list... it's very fine.
Lord no...Encre Noir is nice, but nothing more. If they had spent the cash on a decent drydown, it would at the very least make my Top Vetiver list, but that drydown..sheesh. Nice bottle though.
ReplyDeleteYou know... I never got to the drydown! I was on a sniffing expedition with a couple of friends and they insisted that I try it, which I did on a smelling strip. I oohed and aahed... and then put it away because I didn't have enough money to buy it. So.. I never got to the drydown... but thanks for the heads-up!
ReplyDeleteHey Dane, which version of Theo Fennell's Scent are you referring to? I've noticed there is a parfum and an EdT. The EdT is very reasonably priced on line.
ReplyDeleteEither the EDT or EDP. They differ very little, other than the literal concentration. The parfum is stunning stuff, but very tricky to come by anymore. Grab a few EDT's while you can!
ReplyDeleteI ordered the Theo Fennell Scent based on your review and Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez. I'm hoping for the best!
ReplyDeleteAlso, as a side note, I do understand your passion regarding masterpieces, but sometimes, I prefer something simple, light, sheer, not-complex. Have you enjoyed any of the Atelier Cologne line?
^ couldn't agree more! These aren't my "everyday" scents (that'll be another post). I typically wear simple things.
ReplyDeleteI have tried some of the Atelier line, and they were all very good. I'm not a huge citrus fan personally, so only one or two stood out to me. For this type of scent, I'd rather use some of the older Aqua Allegorias or CDG's singular-scents.
Great post, well done!!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with you in most of the classic list (apart from Bois des Iles and Joy, which both I never tried -I hope to manage it very soon-!!!)
Partly agree in the contemporaries.
I've always been afraid of *Chinatown* (despite its 'peachy' claims, I simply don't know if I'm able to risk and waste time & money...).
*Angel*--- well, WHAT AN ICON!, but unfortunately I'm the enemy.
*Opium*--- same thing as in previous. Smells cheap and nauseating, frankly overrated.
*Le Feu d'Issey* is an ultra-rare and something I would like to re-discover, specially since I'm interested in milky qualities and peach lactones in perfume. I would be very happy if the house relaunches it. I remember myself in late '90's, thinking 'wtf?, It can't be true! here you are an outstanding scent under Issey Miyake house!!'. Still unbelievable.
Impossible for me to try any S-Perfumes (they don't delivery to my country), though I think my favorite smelling thing would be the Sophia Grojsman's one (100% Love).
Pending task with Parfumes MDCI: *Promesse de l'Aube* sounds even more amazing than l'Enlèvement... but I really find all of them too much pricey.
about the *Scent* by TF... It's on my mind all the time! :(( but still unsniffed. (Need to be payed for a sample, like with some of the previous)
As u can see I'm just partly agree because I still haven't smelled most of them.
If I were to include a vetiver, Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire would feature. I know its a matter of personal taste...
ReplyDelete