
By Thomas
A former acquaintance was a major devotee of the genius of Yves Saint Laurent, and told me of his cousin’s extensive wardrobe of 70’s YSL couture dresses. From the photos, the clothing seems to have held up remarkably well both in terms of construction and style: nothing looked dated or frayed…but then again most couture is not really ‘daily-wear’ anyway. But still I was struck by the timelessness of the designs.
Last year I got a bottle of YSL Live Jazz in a pass-box and thought, oh it’s just like Platinum Egoiste. Mneh. Never mind that I quite like PE, for some reason Live Jazz struck me as a remarkably close copy and therefore to be passed over. After all, Platinum Egoiste was on my to-buy list, what added utility would come from a bottle of Live Jazz?
Heh, I’m such a lemming. Here we are a year later, I’ve still not bought that bottle of Platinum Egoiste (procrastination FTW!), but after reading multiple raves for Live Jazz, and spotting a bottle on Amazon for really really cheap…I ordered a bottle. And wore it, again and again.
Still, it is remarkably similar to Platinum Egoiste, so much so that I wound up wearing them side-by-side. Not a whole lot of difference between these two. Live Jazz features a sharp, floral/aquatic opening that tempers down to a less-sharp floral/aquatic. The difference lies in the metallic note: PE has a deep silver-spoon note that shimmers for a long, long, time. Live Jazz, on the other hand, puts it in the background, behind the aquatic green-apple floral notes, and the result is, well…more natural.
Live Jazz turns out to be easier to wear than Platinum Egoiste – more comfortable, less showy. I’ve reached for Live Jazz quite a bit lately, given the summer we’re having, and despite being over 10 years old (and an aquatic, even), it still feels fresh and timeless.
Year: 1998
Perfumer: Pierre Bourdon
Notes: Bitter Lemon Peel, Grapefruit, Iced Mint, Coriander, Wild Reed, Rhubarb Leaf, Cedarwood, Ambergris, Vanilla
I want to buy it just for the name, as a gift for some jazz and music lovers. Have never sniffed this one, but look forward to trying it based on your review ;)
ReplyDeleteWell said, timeless! this summer fragrance is fantastic and a must have item to be at anyone's buying list. Just as you said, it's been a while it's been around, since 98, which makes it even more difficult to find, especially for being a summer fragrance. At least here in Rio de JAneiro, where is summer all year long, this is impossible to be found, I just buy it on-line and most of the times, like right now, on-line stores have zero units to sell. Not because it's a best-seller cos it's not, most people here only know the regular Jazz. I really hope I don't have to purchase this rare and amazing cologne overseas otherwise I will pay the same amount as taxes. To bring fragrances to this country is a pain in the ass, sanitary registration required, high taxes and bla bla bla. Anyways, I have most of Chanel fragrances and Platinum Egoiste is among them but it's way stronger and more distinctive. It's not an everyday cologne use, however Live Jazz is an everyday use fragrance for sure, just put it on and let the talking begin. You'll never pass by unnoticed I give you my word.
ReplyDelete