
By Dane
Parfums de Nicolai has an admirable line of high quality, sturdy fragrances that, until recently, I admired, but didn't love. Most seem to have either have a candied-fruitiness to them, or a dusty, cinnamon-spiciness, neither of which appealed to me. Le Temps d'Une Fete is the one that I can truly say I adore.
I admit the candied opening that TdF shares with Mimosaique, Vie de Chateau, and various others in the line has grown on me. While I still prefer the biting bitterness of bergamot for my topnote fix, Nicolai's variation appeals to my sweet-tooth. The topnote of TdF marries the candied accord with a chewy galbanum before proceeding into the resinous heart of green florals and woody undertones. I find the overall feeling to be more of an exotic fruit than a classical floral composition. The mossy base mixes animalic features with the milkiness of sandalwood and on my skin, continues to glow a vibrant green for its respectable 6(ish) hour stay.
I've heard rumours of reformulation on this gem, but I cannot confirm as of yet. I'm hoping Mrs. Nicolai foresaw the recent restrictions before they came into effect and didn't go too crazy on the now taboo ingredients. Please do comment if you have any insight.
ps - if you, like I, were hoping for Nicolai to update their dowdy packaging like many other firms did for the recent IFRA reformations, you're out of luck. Still as awful as ever.
Year: 2007
Perfumer: Patricia de Nicolai
Notes: Galbanum, oppoponax, treemoss, hyacinth, narcissus, sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss
Just checking back, did you ever find out if this was reformulated? It's on my 'plan to buy' list, thanks! (Kari )
ReplyDeleteYou seem to depict the new "le temps d'une fête".
ReplyDeleteThe old one was mostly mossy and green, and linear. As they paid for this name, they seem to have re-used it for a new perfume.
Although the new TdF shares glimpse to the old one (galbanum and hyacinth in opening, mossy base), but the new one is very floral, an accord of rose white flower vanilla narcissus.
I love TdF(new), on fabric, it smells like a joyous melodie that last long, with the mysterious and somehow aquatique side of narcissus.
Made I mistake rose for galbanum, on fabric, but I love this note in TdF.
I don't really "love" TdF, it's just utterly lovely and well-crafted.
A true masterpiece, even the reformulated one.
ReplyDeleteI only wish it has more and more and more and more and more sillage, because I absolutely adore it...
but it's still great, far better than I was expecting for an Eau de Toilette: about 3-4 hours on my skin