
By Andrew
Bertrand Duchaufour’s recent Havana Vanille for L’Artisan Parfumeur was quiet and short lived on me. Not Al Oudh, which arrived right behind it this winter. Al Oudh is a robust, assertive Orientalist composition that sets incense, animalic leather, fruit and spices alongside its titular ingredient. Anyone expecting the kind of stark, piercing oudh-dominant arrangement Pierre Montale offers in Black Aoud or Oud Cuir d’Arabie will be disappointed. Al Oudh’s structure and development are complex and its mood dark and weighty, but the oudh note is more of an ensemble player than a soloist. In its ingredients* and general style Al Oudh is more akin to Jubilation XXV, which Duchaufour composed for Amouage a couple of years back.
Al Oudh’s opening is a busy assemblage of citrus, spices, and saffron that leaves an impression of heat and a tart prickle in the nose. Frankincense and the unmistakable medicinal accent of oudh fall into place with a few moments, while the scent begins to darken and sweeten under the influence of vanilla and a potent dried fruit note. These notes arrange themselves around a rose, patchouli, and leather core in a configuration that delicately balances the sweetness of fruit and vanilla with the astringency of the incense resins. Over the course of hours the sweet hay flavor of coumarin (tonka bean) and the otherworldly tonic of myrrh emerge to reinforce each end of the structure. As a result, Al Oudh gains density while retaining its overall balance.
Online reviewers are divided over a cumin note in Al Oudh. Some enjoy it, while others find it intrusive, or even repugnant. I don’t find Al Oudh’s cumin all that conspicuous, especially in comparison with scents like Eau d’Hermes, Cologne Bigarade, or Diptyque’s L’Autre. Then again, cumin smells to me like an ingredient in south Asian cuisine, not unwashed armpits, so I don’t object to it on principle. Al Oudh does have an animalic aspect, courtesy of civet and castoreum, but they contribute to the scent’s dense, warm foundation rather than acting as conspicuous individual notes.
Al Oudh is tenacious on my skin, and it wears for a solid six to eight hours before drifting slowly into a cedar, patchouli, and powdery vanilla drydown. It doesn’t strike me as a gender-specific scent, but its weight and intensity might make me uncomfortable in an office setting. I enjoy Al Oudh’s assured character and I think it extends the L’Artisan Parfumeur line (if not necessarily Duchaufour’s creative range,) in an interesting direction. It’s certainly worth sampling if your taste favors the dark and exotic.
* The two scents have in common coriander, Atlas cedar, frankincense, rose, myrrh, patchouli, and (yes) oudh.
Year: 2009
Perfumer: Bertrand Duchaufour
Notes: Cumin, cardamom, pink pepper, date, rose, neroli, incense, saffron, leather note, oudh, Atlas cedar, castoreum, civet, sandalwood, patchouli, myrrh, vanilla and tonka bean
Ironically, I've been craving this for days, cherishing my last few drops but wanting to slather it all over myself. The cumin is prominent to me, and completely enjoyable - in fact, it's the very reason I love it so. It's my favorite L'Artisan so far.
ReplyDeleteIt’s nice to hear from someone who has no enmity toward cumin. This poor spice might be the most unjustly maligned note in all perfumery!
ReplyDeleteAndrew -- Thanks for this review. Will be very intrigued to see what the differences/similarities to Jub. XXV on my skin are, Jub. being one of my very favorite scents. And with that cumin note -- now I'm all the more intrigued. I loved "Kingdom", and even if there's just a bit of cumin in this new potion, it might just be the bit that makes a huge difference; we'll see.
ReplyDeleteAll the best,
Michael
I tried Al Oudh recently and loved it. Great that you've mentioned some fragrances that are similar to it. Now I'll go and track them down too.
ReplyDeleteAlso interesting also that you played down the animalic note. I agree that you couldn't wear it in an office environment - but more because it just smells so sexy.
I never appreciated cumin in perfume until "L'Eau d'Hermes." I get lost in the rows and rows of l"Artisan bottles, but the way you have described this scent, it sounds like it might have been made just for me...
ReplyDeleteThe Left Coast Nose said...
ReplyDelete"I never appreciated cumin in perfume until "L'Eau d'Hermes." I get lost in the rows and rows of l"Artisan bottles, but the way you have described this scent, it sounds like it might have been made just for me..."
Well, the cumin in Al Oudh is a lot less conspicuous than that in Eau d'Hermès. I hope you'll get a chance to sample Al Oudh sometime and give us your thoughts in your blog!
I'm like Elizabeth who craves this. I have a sample and I'm trying to stretch it out to next payday which is in one week. I can't wait to go buy it so I can spray it on like it's mosquito repellent. I LOVE this scent. It does have a BO note, but for some bizarre reason, I love it! I hate to smell BO on people - it utterly disgusts me. But this perfume, I don't know...there's something intoxicating about it. I agree that I probably coudn't wear it in the office, but by God, if I'm not in the office, I'm going to bathe in it.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely adore this scent, but I'm also a big cumin fan - I use it so much in cooking that to me it is a sensual ingredient, and so it never shows it's face as a BO scent. I think the cumin is very muted in this, though, and I have rapidly worked my way through a small decant and will be purchasing this beauty post haste!
ReplyDeleteit`s fun-key with a over the road travel tone
ReplyDeletebag holding a vast array of humm ! ,it could smell like fantastic cooking or make you want to pull your mate down too the floor and cook.
it can pull her closer, inhaling your air and yes on your lips, might even hug you till you hum...