Grey Vetiver (Tom Ford)


By Dane
I have no idea why I review so many vetiver scents...frankly, I don't even like the ingredient that much. Well, I shouldn't say that...it's clearly an irreplaceable genre in men's fragrances, but while it can add a much needed depth to many compositions, I guess smelling it on a pedestal just doesn't strike my fancy.

That leads us to Grey Vetiver. While I admire the fact that they didn't spell it "Gray", I can't say much else in the way of kind words. Sure, it has the necessary citrus opening (more fruity than citrus actually), which leads into a nice transition of the main ingredient, followed by an ever-so-subtle drydown of no particular consequence (or interest). Everything is present and accounted for...which is my problem. We have, in the veti-world, shining examples of simplicity: Guerlain's classic, Givenchy's reissue, Malle's note-heavy number...every house feels the need to attempt a one-up on the next guy. With the exception of a few, most attempts add nothing new to the table. Frankly, it's all very dull.

For the vetiver lover, the aficionados as it were, my sincerest apologies. I realize that the eternal quest for the perfect V fills you with both ambition and drive...and for you, I will continue to rhyme off the notes of the newest and greatest. For everyone else...well...hang in there.

Year: 2009
Notes: Vetiver, Orange Flower, Grapefruit, Aromatic Sage, Orris, Nutmeg, Pimento, Amber Woods, Oak Moss

1 comment:

  1. Perfect Vetiver for me would be Lalique's Encre Noire.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.