I chose to ignore Lutens' original foray into the world of laundry - L'Eau. I have to say it was intriguing, the thought of the master-of-bizarre working with the utterly common, but it turns out it remained dull at best.
L'Eau Froide yet again peaked my interest. Online reviews...all they do is get your hopes up! (irony noted)
L'Eau Froide opens with a great citrus-mint. Very zippy. The heart is a sharp, chilly incense. Behind the fun, though, lurks that darn basket of bright white socks. As hard as I try to ignore it, those of us who do their own laundry will no doubt note this annoyance. For non-lovers of aquatic notes, you'll also find this issue a factor as well.
I can't help but also compare L'EF with an unorthodox favourite of mine - Eau Radieuse by Humiecki & Graef. Both are futuristic, minty renditions on the eau de cologne formula. Lutens, for the first time ever, played it a bit safe, while Humiecki went all nutsoid. You can't help but respect that. Eau Radieuse is basically beautiful nuclear waste.
L'Eau Froide has its tempting moments, but for incense, I'd chat up CDG; for a left-of-centre musk, I'd go for Mugler Cologne; and for the whole weird package, L'Eau Radieuse would be my choice. Not terrible, but also not terrific.
Year: 2012
Perfumer: Christopher Sheldrake
Notes: Olibanum, sea water, musk, vetiver, mint, incense, pepper, and ginger

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.