Les Parfums de Cuir - Angel (Thierry Mugler)


Much to the dismay of those around me, I regularly wear Angel (original). I have an old bottle from the 90's, while it still had most of its chest hair. Today's version is lighter and fruitier, but still perfectly acceptable, and in a way, satisfies a need for the days when less is more.

Everything about Angel and its flankers continues to impress me. The bottles are beautiful and innovative, the sprayers are of the finest quality (a small, but important detail), and the fragrances are daring and have a quality that you just don't find in department store scents these days.

Mugler approaches marketing in a different way than others, and frankly, I'm surprised others haven't followed its lead (like they did following Angel's formula). Instead of releasing a new scent every 6 months, Mugler releases variations on its 4 biggies - Angel, Alien, A*men, and Womanity. Thus far, all the flankers have been successful in that they change only minor elements of the original, but still beckon us to buy a bottle.

This year is Angel's 20th anniversary, and as such, a special flanker has reached the shelves - Les Parfums de Cuir. Once again, the big 4 all received similar treatment, and once again, Angel is the most interesting of the lot. This one came as a surprise, because the previous variations (Bitter Cocoa, Liqueur de Parfum) had darkened the overall feeling of the original, subtracting the tropical pineapple topnotes mainly. Cuir does the opposite - it feels brigther and tamer, almost a mix of Angel with Lutens' Daim Blond. I'm supposed to be smelling leather, but what I actually smell are apricots (and I like what I smell!) Sure, the leather is present, and quite realistic at that, but the overall feeling is sunny and peachy, while still remaining true to the original.


Year: 2012
Notes: original list, with the addition of apricot and iris
*review based on bottle from my personal collection*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.