
By Andrew
In which the great Dominique Ropion (Carnal Flower, Une Fleur de Cassie), working in his sleep, and with a 25 cent budget, grafts the top notes of Déclaration onto the Mack truck white musk drydown of his recent Geranium pour Monsieur, thereby reinventing laundry detergent while demonstrating how, with insufficient time, cash, and sleep, even the most talented artist can produce trash. I predict that Ropion’s friends and admirers will cringe at the mention of Costume National for decades to come.
Year: 2009
Perfumer: Dominique Ropion
Notes: Grapefruit, cardamom, bergamot, cinnamon, thyme, cloves, patchouli, sandalwood, labdanum
In which Mike Riley read this scathing piece and snickered! It inspired me to take out the trash actually....I'll very reluctantly use the famous expression of current young generation, given I'm only 25 - LOL!
ReplyDeleteAnother bit of cutting, pungent wit from the PereDePierre team! The words "in which" are usually used in the middle of a sentence, so when I saw them used to start the review I just knew it was going to be an absolute shocker!
Andrew - perhaps it would make marvellous laundry detergent? Maybe I can pump the machine full of Costume National Homme instead of the old Omo-Matic front loader powder!? I imagine as far as laundry detergent goes, it would smell pretty darn good!
Andrew, I can't help but feel
ReplyDeleteunderwhelmed at this scent myself. Perhaps because I was expecting far too much? Upon first sampling I found it OK, though overly tropical and boozy, and overly strong. But still, for a summer scent I thought it could be suitable. But then my headache set in after about an hour, which is alway a sure sign to run for cover. All in all I'd have expected much more, having like "Scent Intense" so much. That, too, was strong, but the tea-and-amber note was heady in the most pleasant of ways.
Take care,
Michael
PS: I've got a few fragrance reviews of my own this week on my own blog -- scents I like to think of as "classy". At my own risk, I'd be interested what you have to say about any/all of the three, if you find a few minutes:
http://michael-spice-of-life.blogspot.com
"...perhaps it would make marvellous laundry detergent? Maybe I can pump the machine full of Costume National Homme instead of the old Omo-Matic front loader powder!? I imagine as far as laundry detergent goes, it would smell pretty darn good!"
ReplyDelete-Anonymous
Yes, but will it get out those really tough stains?
"Andrew, I can't help but feel underwhelmed at this scent myself. "
-Michael
It just seems like such a waste of talent, given what Ropion is capable of. Sad, really.
Meanwhile, I'll have to go visit that blog...