
By Dane
I've been trying to come up with something to say about this one for a few days now. Frankly, there's not a lot going on.
Etat Libre has once again teamed up with Sephora to create a quasi-celeb scent (the other being the Sex Pistols). I'm not sure what this project has to do with Baker's persona exactly, and info on the Internet seems scarce at the moment. What I do know is that Josephine Baker was a vivacious, sometimes scandalous dancer, singer, actress, and activist. What's bottled in her namesake scent is a generic woody floral with a lovely grapefruit topnote, but not much else going on. How could something list "curry jungle essence" in the notes and smell this dull??
ELdO were once known for their ballsy scents. Not always wearable, but always interesting. Their recent releases have mostly been a letdown for me. Fat Electrician was an average, uninspired take on vetiver; Like This a muted affair, not miles away from their previous Noel au Balcon; and Sex Pistols, a peppered wood of no particular interest. Much of the inspiration for these scents screams innovation and edginess, yet the scents come across as dull and common.
Year: 2010
Notes: grapefruit, champagne accord, cardamom, jasmine, curry jungle essence, black pepper, gourmand accord, labdanum, sandalwood and lorenox
Oh dear. I was hoping for more, after finding Sex Pistols dull too. Too bad the Sephora collaboration hasn't led to anything more engaging. Obviously they think the name and the packaging will sell these perfumes.
ReplyDeleteNow I did find Tilda Swinton Like This to be more worthy of the ELdO reputation. The pumpkin spicy accord isn't like anything else in my collection, but I never tried the Noel au Balcon.
Thanks for your review!