Sandalo Inspiritu (Italian Journey No. 7)

by Andrew

The good news: while by no means identical in structure or content, Sandalo Inspiritu comes as close as anything I’ve smelled to capturing the dark majesty of Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s lamented vintage formula Santal Noble.

The bad news: it’s a limited edition offering at the end of its run, and will no doubt soon be just as hard to come by as vintage Santal Noble. I’m not too proud to beg Ms. Hurwitz to continue making Sandalo Inspiritu, but I’m willing to bet she’s no longer able to source the natural Mysore sandalwood that resides at its core.

Too bad. After a dry and bracingly bitter coriander, petitgrain, and citrus introduction, Sandalo Inspiritu slides into an accord of nutmeats, sandalwood, and spices so plush it has a tactile quality. After ten minutes’ wear, I just want to wallow in this stuff.

House: Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Parfum des Beaux Arts
Nose: Dawn Spencer Hurwitz
Year: 2005(?)
Concentration: parfum
Notes: bitter orange, coriander seed, clementine, lemon, petitgrain, hazelnut, Moroccan rose absolute, Mysore sandalwood, nutmeg, frankincense, rosewood, Siam benzoin, amber, ambrette seed, Buddha wood, East Indian patchouli, Himalayan cedar, labdanum, mastic, moss, myrrh gum, opoponax, Tolu balsam, Peru balsam, Tamil Nadu sandalwood. (A natural perfume.)

1 comment:

  1. I feel sort of lucky because I ordered a little bottle of this before it runs out. But I wish she could keep producing it, it's just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.