West Broadway (Bond No. 9)


By Thomas

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet."

-Romeo and Juliet

Sometimes I wished that samples arrived at my door unmarked – or at least without the House and fragrance name – because some houses have a bit of baggage associated with them: fair or not.

Take – for instance – Bond No. 9. They have their vocal admirers and their also-vocal detractors, their bottles have a unique design, and they are certainly not inexpensive. Just from what I’d heard and read, I already had an opinion on the house, and every bottle they ever put out.

Not really fair, is it?

So I have a sample of West Broadway and decided before unwrapping it just how bad it was going to be. And initially I was quite put off by the astringency, the sharp citrus-pepper-myrrhe which reminded me a bit of the opening of Oud 27. Hmmm, I like Oud 27, what’s wrong with this one?

After a short while, the astringency died down and the myrrhe came forth, resinous and green, with a slightly bitter woodiness. Hmmm, almost reminded me of Ormonde Man there for a moment. I like Ormonde Man, what’s wrong with this one?

I also noticed that I was sniffing my wrist – often – without needing to remind myself.

Somewhere along the way, the resin dialed it back a bit and it got a tad mossy on me – a mildly bitter crisp woody-mossy concoction that doesn’t beat you over the head. Made me think of Pour Monsieur there, hmmm – I like Pour Monsieur, what’s wrong with this one?

After a while and a few repeat wearings, I can’t tell you what’s wrong with West Broadway. I can say that it is sharper and more direct than your typical Chanel or Guerlain, but that seems to have been the trend for a good while now and not even Chanel or Guerlain really do that any more anyway (so stop living in the past, Thomas).

But, other than that, nothing wrong with it. Quite durable, lasts a good while on skin, good for all seasons and occasions. I suspect that had it come in an unmarked vial, I would be singing its praises rather than coming around to a grudging admiration, but sometimes it takes a while to overcome your prejudices and realize that even a rose marked Bond No. 9 can still smell as sweet.

Year: 2003
Notes: Lime, Lily of the Valley, Sheer Musk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.