Cote d'Amour (L'Artisan Parfumeur)


By Dane

Apparently I've been craving summer lately, because all I can think about is pulling out the warm-weather wear and spritzing with abandon. Although I'm all for wearing what you want, when you want...there are some scents that just beg to be worn in the heat. One such fragrance is Cote d'Amour, L'Artisan's latest in their line of certified organic, all-natural range.

I'm still in the mindset that natural perfumery is the next big thing (or is it already?) Jatamansi was L'Artisan's first attempt, and while completely successful, it still doesn't compare to Cote d'Amour. Jatamansi smelled natural, no shock there...CdA smells both natural and like nothing I've encountered in nature, which to me is fascinating.

The opening is *shudder*, aquatic. Frankly, I had no idea that an aquatic accord could be done without synthetics, especially without the use of ambergris (which of course could be in there, but I don't catch any of its other characteristics). Fear not though, the aquatic tang vanishes quite quickly (although it remains quietly in the background) to reveal a lovely, fruity accord that to me smells just like a blueberry muffin. I doubt that was the intention, but I'm rather fond of it. Other reviews I've read mention a saltiness, but I don't really catch that as much as I would have thought. The drydown reveals some woods, along with a faint coconut accord that apparently comes from "gorse" (Google it...I had to), although some lists of notes found online actually list coconut. That alone would normally turn me off, but somehow it fits.

As a whole, CdA is like a walk on the beach...sea air, driftwood, and a touch of sunscreen. Now if summer would just hurry up and get here...

Year: 2009
Perfumer: Celine Ellena
Notes: Green mandarin, Pink grapefruit, Rosemary, Salt flower, Dune flower, Cypress, Gorse flowers, Coconut, Rose, Heather, Maritime pine, Broom, Floated wood

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm blueberry muffin? The beach? Sign me up. This one sounds worth a sniff for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making it sound too good: "walk on the beach...sea air, driftwood, and a touch of sunscreen"

    Must try this out soon - sounds like exactly the kind of thing I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dane - you've made me want to pull my sample back out. I did a quick swipe test once, and sprayed a card in a store once, but I never did give it the full wear test. I really enjoy scents you can spray countless times and sit on the beach, catching wafts of yourself and enjoying the weather. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.