
by Thomas
For some reason the tobacco note commonly found in perfumes upsets me. As much as I like good tobacco (not that I smoke or anything), nothing had thus far really proven engaging. Strangely enough, the coffee I drink in the morning (dark and strong), vaguely recalls tobacco, not necessarily in a good way, but I still found it interesting that different elements can convincingly cross paths.
So it happened that I wound up with a sample of Tea for Two (not provided by L’Artisan, but rather as a rec from a friend - thanks Alexander!). Alexander swore I would like it, and I resisted - for a time at least – but eventually I tried it and was thoroughly smitten by this big pipe tobacco note: full and earthy and moderately spicy. The more I wore it, the better I liked it.
So, Tea for Two starts out with said big pipe tobacco note, well for me at least. For the rest of the world it’s Chai spiced tea. Really? Sure: the opening is indeed rather spicy: cinnamon, maybe a touch of citrus and ginger to give it lift, and this big earthy tobacco/tea note. I love this opening.
After a while, the citrus/ginger starts to fade but cardamom steps in, with some patchouli and this dense milky fullness. It doesn’t quite catch in the throat but it is a bit grabby and will get your attention. This goes on for a good while: not much development, but I’d rather it not change too much anyway.
This sticks around for most of the work-day, with just enough throw to remind you of what you’re wearing without making you smell of a tea shop/humidor. Still present in the early afternoon, which was nice. Better for the winter months, and in case you’re still wondering how much I like Tea or Two… I have a bottle now.
Year: 2000
Perfumer: Olivia Giacobetti
Notes: Bergamot, Smokey Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Anise, Honey, Vanilla
I have to try this again...I've never been a big fan of Giacobetti's spicy treats, but I've done an about-turn on Saffran Troublant, so maybe this one will work now too.
ReplyDeleteThe older I get...the spicier I like it. :)