
By Thomas
Every time I buy something I like to think that it was a soberly-considered decision, based strictly on the merits of a product. This way I keep my pocketbook safe from the clutches of the slick and manipulative (read: evil) Marketers. At least, such has been my impression of the Marketing people I’ve known.
But Guerlain Homme: in this case the Marketers weren’t so much evil as inept. The ad campaign was centered around a predatory male figure, but the scent? If this is a predatory scent, I LOL in the face of danger!
So…this scent – taken on its merits alone, it is not a bad scent. The opening is composed of a ‘mojito accord’ which is lime/rum/mint. For what it’s worth – I’ve yet to have a mojito that I wanted to wear. Add to this a bit of the Guerlain pomp and circumstance – a lightly powdery floracy that lingers in the background and keeps things on the up-and-up. (This is a Guerlain, after all).
After a while the lime and mint fade as they tend to do, and we’re left with a woody rum with the requisite background Guerlain powdery-mossy background hum. It doesn’t last very long, and then the curtain falls on the latest Guerlain production.
But – what of this being a Guerlain? The bottle is…garish and the Lucite cap is…Lucite. After all the crystal flacons and the bee bottles – even the Aqua Allegoria line-up have better bottles than this. This is…misguidedly utilitarian.
And as for the men’s range: when I think of French men’s scents in general and Guerlain in particular, there’s a certain salaciousness that comes to mind. Not sleaziness but more a willingness to partake in whatever comes their way. Jicky and Mouchoir give me that vibe, as does Habit Rouge, Kouros, Equipage, and Antaeus. This Homme – not so much: too upright and clean-obsessive. Maybe that’s the shape of things to come, it seems to have its place, but as for me it I wouldn’t partake on a daily basis. Safe for the office and first dates.
Year: 2008
Perfumer: Thierry Wasser
Notes: Mojito Accord, Lime, Mint, Fresh Floral Accord, Bergamot, Green Woody Accord, Cedar, Patchouli
But Guerlain Homme: in this case the Marketers weren’t so much evil as inept. The ad campaign was centered around a predatory male figure, but the scent? If this is a predatory scent, I LOL in the face of danger!
So…this scent – taken on its merits alone, it is not a bad scent. The opening is composed of a ‘mojito accord’ which is lime/rum/mint. For what it’s worth – I’ve yet to have a mojito that I wanted to wear. Add to this a bit of the Guerlain pomp and circumstance – a lightly powdery floracy that lingers in the background and keeps things on the up-and-up. (This is a Guerlain, after all).
After a while the lime and mint fade as they tend to do, and we’re left with a woody rum with the requisite background Guerlain powdery-mossy background hum. It doesn’t last very long, and then the curtain falls on the latest Guerlain production.
But – what of this being a Guerlain? The bottle is…garish and the Lucite cap is…Lucite. After all the crystal flacons and the bee bottles – even the Aqua Allegoria line-up have better bottles than this. This is…misguidedly utilitarian.
And as for the men’s range: when I think of French men’s scents in general and Guerlain in particular, there’s a certain salaciousness that comes to mind. Not sleaziness but more a willingness to partake in whatever comes their way. Jicky and Mouchoir give me that vibe, as does Habit Rouge, Kouros, Equipage, and Antaeus. This Homme – not so much: too upright and clean-obsessive. Maybe that’s the shape of things to come, it seems to have its place, but as for me it I wouldn’t partake on a daily basis. Safe for the office and first dates.
Year: 2008
Perfumer: Thierry Wasser
Notes: Mojito Accord, Lime, Mint, Fresh Floral Accord, Bergamot, Green Woody Accord, Cedar, Patchouli
Let's LOL in the face of danger together! Wearing our mojitos!
ReplyDeleteThe Guerlain ad I saw - the man was drinking water from the same puddle as half a bunch of animals (lions, tigers, whatever)... so "the animal in you" could be a man who can live with wild animals in harmony. Tee-hee!
ReplyDeleteNathan: EXACTLY! Mojito in one hand, tiny paper unbrella in the other, LOLing at the marketers.
ReplyDeleteAnon: The only Guerlain Homme ad I saw was a guy who was a little too pretty to be a predator, wearing a look that was a bit too wholesome. Sounds like your ad was much better, even if it smacks of the late 90's Diesel Jeans ads with models draped all over the foliage. Who said recycling is just for paper goods?
I just had the thought that this could be next-level misdirection in terms of marketing/product execution, where people sniff it and think *whew*, it's not Mouchoir or Jules! I'll buy it! Who knows. If its selling well, then I guess the joke's on me.