Vierges et Toreros (Etat Libre d'Orange)


by Mark

Say what you will about those naughty boys at Etat Libre d'Orange, one thing you cannot accuse them of is playing it safe.

This bull comes charging right into the arena. Vierges et Toreros opens with a heady swirl of camphoraceous tuberose, sweetened with ylang ylang and offset by an underpinning of raw, smoky leather. At first I was puzzled, wondering where the notorious blood note was, but as soon as I stopped searching for it, it was there, almost flooding my sinuses. It's easy to see how this could make someone squeamish.

The first few minutes are a glorious riot. When the dust settles, the tuberose has come out on top, though it has lost its sharp camphorous edge in its battle to suppress the leather.

The tuberose remains dominant for quite some time, at a low volume. At times it reminds me of Chergui, which I consider a good thing. Then, quietly, they switch positions and the leather is on top. Everything plays out close to the skin after the tumultuous beginning, but I find every phase of development to be satisfying.

In a world of carefully tested, focus-group-approved, inoffensive me-too sequels to hits of days past, sometimes it's nice to have a virgin and a bullfighter crash through your french doors and make passionate love on your breakfast table. Hope you don't mind blood on your huevos.

Year: 2007
Perfumer: Antoine Lie and Antoine Maisondieu
Notes: Bergamote, Poivre, Cardamome, Muscade, Tubéreuse, Ylang ylang, Cuir, Base Animalis, Costus, Patchouli, Vetiver.

Post a Comment

1 comment:

  1. All I can smell in this is Animalis...which to me, smells like blood. I found it nausiating. :S

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.