
By Thomas
I’ll be straight with you. I’ve never tried cannabis. I have no tattoos. Nothing pierced, either. Heck, I usually drive within the speed limit! So what am I doing reviewing a scent labeled Cannabis Rose? Because I have a sample of it and you know how it is with forbidden fruit. (OMG, I’m wearing cannabis today! I feeeel so freeee!).
Lately I’ve come to want some thorns with my rose scents – these rose notes don’t really compare to the real thing in terms of complexity and earthiness, so I want something that grounds it, gives it some flesh. Kingdom did the trick for me with cumin, so how would cannabis fare?
At opening, it’s non-descript. Some bergamot, floral, rose, fairly sweet. Kind of…like a bright and cheerful Ungaro III. Maybe a tad herbal. After a while some chocolate/praline comes into the picture but it’s pretty lightweight. Nothing outrageous (or interesting) here.
At drydown, this is a strange one – a case of the scent changing relative to proximity. When I re-enter a room, the rose is prominent – which means there’s a bit of projection, and the rose is actually quite good (Bulgarian, it seems). But bring your nose close, and this smells…sweet, herbal, and musty. Actually…you know what this smells like? I mean, really smells like?
It smells like old tailored jackets that have been stored forever, maybe in a cedar closet. You know, old-school bespoke coats – canvas-and-horsehair lined, hand-basted tailor-made jobs. I have a few of these from my grandfather – narrow lapels and all – and they all smell like this. It’s strangely reassuring – as though the mustiness lends an air of resilience, or a connection to previous generations. …wait…Are you snickering out there? Does this mean even grandpa lit up the doobie once in a while in his tailored coats? God, I am a square!
Year: 2007
Perfumer: Jérôme Epinette
Notes: Bulgarian Rose, Pomegranate Flower, Bergamot, Cannabis Accord, Sheer Jasmine, Dark Chocolate, White Musk, Patchouli, Oolong Tea
Post a Comment
Yes, Thomas, but you're "our" square, and we adore you for it.
ReplyDeleteRe. Cannabis Rose -- the rose is a lot more potent than it seems when you're only smelling it on yourself. I had the same experience you did while wearing it: walking out of a room, then coming back in and smelling a very strong rose scent.
And you're spot-on about the mustiness in the mix. It has that tarry, musty, loamy-green smell that hovers underneath the rose.
does this mean you like the fragrance?
ReplyDelete