L'Homme (Yves Saint Laurent)


By Dane

Is it bad to want something based solely on the packaging? Probably, but that's the only thing that L'Homme has going for it. The scent is in fact SO boring that I can't even review it...if a yawn had a smell, you'd have L'Homme. Who knew three brilliant perfumers could collaborate on such a dud. Anyway...I thought I would do something different and review the bottle itself.

The main feature that drew me to the bottle in the first place was the cap. Apparently inspired by your everyday bolt, the cap was transformed with glossy chrome to form an elegant industrial-chic statement. The bottle itself isn't very interesting, but I love how the plastic straw inside was coloured black to purposely draw attention to it. Interesting touch in the style of Dior Homme's bottle.



A limited edition bottle was also recently released, and one can't help but draw associations as to its inspiration. Created by the architect Jean Nouvel, the base of this bottle uses the original's cap in black, but the interesting touch (other than the phallic test tube) is the tiny green YSL logo floating in the liquid. Jean Nouvel is a French architect and designer known for his classic minimalist styling, as shown in this beautiful bookshelf for Molteni & C.



Overall interesting concepts for packaging...too bad the content is so dull.

Year: 2006
Perfumer: Anne Flipo, Pierre Wargnye, Dominique Ropion
Notes: Lemon Cedrat, Bergamot, Ginger, Violet Leaves, Basil Flowers, Sandalwood, Virginia Cedar, Haitian Vetiver, Tonka Bean, Amber

2 comments:

  1. Isn't hiring Jean Nouvel to design a bottle for this sort of like hiring him to design a special wrapper for an Egg McMuffin? I mean, good on him for the paycheck, but..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much...I'm assuming Mr. Nouvel isn't as versed in the art of fragrance as he is in other areas.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.